Not many insights--snarky or otherwise--to draw after tonight's match, in which San Juan Jabloteh did its best imitation of a bunch of burly traffic cones, allowing United time and space to play its game with impunity.
And DC's game looked good, helped no doubt by the absence of Jabloteh's team defense. It was nice to see:
- DC continuing its newfound offensive tactics including overlapping runs, quickly switching the field, and driving toward the end line before crossing;
- Christian Gomez involved and active all over the pitch;
- Pontius as a forward = more dangerous and active than Emilio, although finishing still needs work;
- Fred gets a goal for once;
- United's players assertive in closing down space and fighting to win the ball; and
Overheard at the match (courtesy of Mrs. Curmudgeon):
- Gomez looks so much better with hair;
- The referee has really nice legs;
- Boyzzz is sooo cute; and
- Ow, why did you pinch me, you jerk?
Even the sparse attendance shouldn't be a bummer. It is what it is. Mission accomplished. Next.
Talon Rating: 3 out of 5 birds
BDR observes that Gomez and Fred did not seem exactly ecstatic about scoring, suggesting they know their days are numbered.
DCUMD remains fairly upbeat, despite skepticism that the win will provide momentum going into Saturday.
Fullback notes the quality of Pontius at forward and Wallace at left back. Sad that we shall probably never seem them play those positions again.
Goff's player ratings:
Kocic 7; Habarugira 6, McTavish 7, James 7, Wallace 8; Khumalo 7.5, Simms 7, Jacobson 6, Fred 7; Gomez 8, Pontius 7. Subs: Szetela 6, Shipalane 6, Burch 6.
Look, it's really hard to draw any meaningful conclusions due to the quality of the opposition. Nevertheless, Goff seems overly charitable to all of the guys who aren't named Gomez and Pontius. With that said, I still think Shipalane looks really promising, and it would be nice to see more of Szetela.
I'm scared about Saturday. Based on who played against Jabloteh, you'd have to assume that United will start Moreno, Emilio, and Burch. These three could conceivably make the team worse. Sure, Quaranta will start (quad permitting), but will his buddy Pontius, after running around for most of last night?